Join the team at Hubbard Street Dance Chicago!
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks candidates with demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
POSITION TITLE: Head of Audio
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC), we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage and change lives through the experience of dance. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is home to the premier contemporary dance company in the United States, the largest dance facility in Chicago, and it serves the community through youth, education, and community engagement programs and through adaptive dance programs that serve thousands across the Chicago area.
HSDC seeks an experienced Head of Audio. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Head of Audio is a key member of the production department. HSDC performs in Chicago approximately three to twelve times a year in addition to touring nationally and internationally. The ideal Head of Audio candidate can work collaboratively with the artistic and production leadership to ensure consistent artistic quality.
Working under the IATSE Local 2 collective bargaining agreement, the Head of Audio will join a Unit Team of Stage Manager/Head of Props, Head Electrician and Head Carpenter; as well as a non-union Head of Wardrobe. HSDC is a yellow-card engagement. This position is seasonal/part time.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Director of Production and fellow Unit crew in the preparations and execution of Show-specific live and recorded sound designs, as well as the use and implementation of company and rental professional audio equipment
- Determine the safety and feasibility of all sound and audio needs in coordination with the Director of Production and Head Electrician.
- Help supervise crews at both union and non-union venues, leading and participating in truck calls, load-ins, work calls, maintenance calls, technical rehearsals, performances, changeovers, and strike calls.
- With the IATSE crew, local labor, and/or Teamsters, load and unload semis and box trucks for all Company performances, as permitted by relevant labor contracts.
- Operate Company Qlab Computers (dual redundant Mac Mini’s)
- Operate Company/House Sound Console for all performances.
- Maintain and Archive run sheets, Qlab Files, Audio files, and sheet music as required
- Assist with shop orders for vendor rentals.
- Follow all OSHA, state mandated, and venue safety guidelines to create a safe workplace.
- Attend production meetings as scheduled by Director of Production.
- Act as liaison for HSDC in the local audio community, as appropriate.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate and agreed upon.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Professional experience as an audio engineer or technician required, with priority to candidates who specialize in the theater or dance environment.
- Desired certifications/experience: OSHA 10, Dante Networking
- Experience with Qlab 4 or 5 strongly desired; experience with common audio editing and mixing software such as Adobe Audition, Ableton, and Pro Tools a plus.
- Experience with digital audio consoles, specifically M32/X32
- Domestic and international touring experience.
- Skilled at leading and managing union and non-union crews through load in, technical rehearsals, changeovers, work calls, and load out.
- Seasoned experience in all elements of stagecraft.
- Familiarity with common digital tools for creating theatrical paperwork such has Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience in researching, purchasing, and renting theatrical and professional audio equipment and tools.
- The ability to work productively, graciously, and in an organized manner under strict time constraints, as well as face demanding situations with tenacity and sensitivity.
- Excitement to creatively troubleshoot challenges.
- Superior relationship building and interpersonal skills that allow the individual to function in a variety of settings among widely different groups of artists and stage professionals.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads up to 50 lbs., stand/sit for long periods of time, and safely work from varying heights on ladders, catwalks, or aerial lifts.
- Valid passport required for both domestic and international travel.
- Evening, weekend, and irregular hours are required.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and professional references (.pdfs only) to email@example.com. Please include HEAD AUDIO in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with IATSE, Local #2 (Chicago). For inquiries about pay, benefits, and contract details please contact Local #2 at (312) 705-2020.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.