Join the team at Hubbard Street Dance Chicago!
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks candidates with demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
POSITION TITLE: Director of Education
REPORTS TO: Executive Director and Artistic Director
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago seeks a new Director of Education. Nationally known for innovation and effectiveness, Hubbard Street’s Education Programs build sustainable school partnerships with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) that include in-school residencies, teacher professional development, teaching artist training, and performance opportunities. These programs focus on the creative process to empower students as learners across disciplines and skills, and build long-term impact by increasing teachers’ understanding and capacity for utilizing dance education in the classroom.
The Director of Education leads all in-school education activities and serves as a member of the senior management team. Primary responsibilities include the development and management of new and existing programming and school partnerships, hiring and training teaching artists, developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with the Chicago Public Schools. Academic responsibilities include developing a variety of educator and teaching artist professional development workshops and seminars, designing HSDC’s curricula and providing vision and leadership for the growth of programs. This position also manages Hubbard Street’s Adaptive Dance programs. This position does not manage Hubbard Street’s summer intensive programs and plays a supporting role in the organization’s broader community engagement efforts.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Shape the focus of and direct Hubbard Street Dance’s Education in accordance with the organizations mission
- Develop and maintain long-term partnerships with the Chicago Public School system and our partner schools
- In collaboration with schools and the HSDC team, develop and maintain curriculum for Hubbard Street’s in-school programs
- Hire, manage, and provide professional development opportunities for teaching artists
- Direct staff and teaching artists in all administrative aspects of department’s education programs and partnerships, such as scheduling, communicating with artists and schools, monitoring throughout the year, disseminating and assessing evaluations, soliciting partners, and all other administrative needs
- Create and maintain detailed success metrics for programs
- Create and direct all education research initiatives
- Liaise with artistic staff to facilitate effective creation and implementation of community programs including student performances and community weeks
- When requested, develop performance related materials, train dancers to work with students, and other performance related workshops
- With the marketing department, develop supporting materials to create a positive image for Education Programs, insuring visibility within the community and nationally
- Work with development department to explore new funding opportunities, report on current grants, and draft language in support of new grant applications
- Work with finance department to establish and work within budgets
- Design and implement special projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Five years of experience in dance education or an arts education related field.
- Proven experience in budgeting, strategic planning and analysis to support decision making
- Performing Arts and/or Non-profit experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of common office software and digital engagement strategies a plus.
Please apply through the Breezy HR portal and send a cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications, along with a professional resume (.pdfs only). No phone calls, please.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
seeks candidates with demonstrable experience advocating
for equity, diversity and inclusion.