Studio Policies & FAQs
- Students must wear clothing that is comfortable, does not restrict movement and does not inhibit the instructor from ensuring proper technique. If students are wearing skirts, students must also wear shorts, leggings or tights.
- No denim
- Bare feet
- Hair pulled back
- Girls must wear the required leotard color, tights, and ballet shoes.
Intro to Ballet (6–7 years old)
Level A (8–9 years old)
Level B (9–10 years old)
Level C (11–13 years old)
Level D (14+)
Teen Ballet (14+)
- Boys must wear a white t-shirt, black tights and black ballet shoes. Level B or higher must wear a dance belt.
Jazz, Modern, Tap, Musical Theater
- Girls must wear a solid color leotard and jazz pants/capris or leggings.
- Boys must wear a t-shirt and jazz pants.
- Jazz shoes for jazz and musical theater, tap shoes for tap, bare feet for modern
- Hair pulled back
- Students must wear clothing that is comfortable and does not restrict movement
- No denim
- Clean sneakers required
- No food or gum in studios. Only water is allowed in Hubbard Street studios.
- No cell phones or electronic devices are allowed in the studios.
- Parents will be notified and consulted regarding any in-class behavioral issues or questions.
- If a child acts out in class in a manner that is harmful to him/herself or others, that child may be removed from class and parents will be notified immediately.
- Children may be dropped from a class if their behavior interferes with safety or is chronically disruptive. We may recommend that your child be moved to a more appropriate class level.
- The Youth Dance Program reserves the right to cancel individual classes for the session due to low enrollment.Alternative class options or refunds will be offered under such circumstances.
- Instructors are subject to change. No credits or refunds will be issued in this case.
- In case of inclement weather or severe weather advisories, the Youth Dance Program may cancel classes. The Youth Dance Program follows the Chicago Public Schools cancellation procedures.
- In the event that classes are canceled due to inclement weather, students may schedule a make-up class.
- Students arriving more than ten minutes late to class will not be permitted to dance. Late students must observe.
- Children ages 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult or parent/guardian when entering or exiting the building.
- If students are early, students should wait in the lobby for their instructor. Students are not permitted in the studio prior to class.
- Please have your students visit the restroom before the beginning of class.
- Students must change in the Youth bathrooms, before class if necessary. Youth Dance Program students should not change in the LCDS dressing rooms.
- Parents may wait in our main lobby or our studio lobby just beyond the Lou Conte Dance Studio front desk or our private Youth Dance Program lobby.
- Students are allowed a maximum of two make-ups per class per session. Make-ups must be scheduled, with the Youth Dance Program staff, prior to the make-up class.
- If your student has a planned absence, and ongoing illness, or injury please notify the Youth Office.
- Students with multiple, unknown absences shall receive a call home from the Youth Office.
- Students with poor class attendance, may not participate in parts or all of the year-end Showcase
- Hubbard Street and its instructors are not liable for any injuries sustained while a student is in class, or on the premises.
- No video, audio, photo or any other recordings are allowed in the studios, with the exception of observation days.
- Parents are not allowed in the studios before, during or after class, with the exception of classes requiring caregiver participation. Parents are welcome to observe classes during observation week each session.
- Students, who are 7 or older, and new to the Hubbard Street Youth Dance Program, must take a placement class before registering for classes.
- In order to receive a refund, students must withdraw before the third class. The amount refunded will be less the cost of two classes, and will not include the non-refundable $35 registration fee.
- Tuition fees paid are forfeited and no refunds will be offered following the second class of each session.
- There is NO fee credit for missed classes during the school year.
- Two make-ups per student, per class may be scheduled only during the current session, if an appropriate class level is available, and if approved by the Youth Program Manager. Please contact the Youth Dance Program in advance to schedule a make-up class.
You can register for all Youth Dance Program classes online here [hyperlink registration]. You can also stop by the studio to register in person, or call the Youth Office at 312-850-9744 ext 139 to register over the phone.
Join us for our annual Open House and participate in our 30 minute preview classes, tour our facilities, and meet out Teaching Artists and Administration Staff.
The Youth Dance Program hosts an annual Open House before the start of the fall session. View our Open House page for more information about our preview class schedule, along with the date and times of this year’s Open House.
The Youth Dance Program provides classes to ages 18 months to 18 years old.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is among the most original forces in contemporary dance. The Youth Dance Program provides an in-depth dance education that focuses on creativity and the techniques that support contemporary dance.
Early Childhood and Primary Division classes allow students ages 18 months to 9 years to investigate Universal dance concepts through improvisation. Young dancers use their imagination and engage in creative problem solving, not only to strengthen their physical development, but to encourage cognitive, social, and emotional growth.
Progressive classes provide dancers ages 7 to 18 with in-depth study of the techniques that support contemporary dance. With a classical ballet foundation, additional courses include modern, jazz, hip-hop, tap, and musical theater, as well as master classes with current and former Hubbard Street dancers.
Through age-appropriate goals such as improvisation, building dance vocabulary and technique, students study all aspects of dance, including choreography. Our comprehensive approach helps dancers reach progressive skill levels and inspire communication of their ideas in new ways.
The Hubbard Street Youth Dance Program starts technique classes at age 7 (ie. Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, Musical Theater, and Improvisation) and starts Modern at age 10, due to the in-depth body awareness needed for proper Modern technique training.
In our Early Childhood Division (ages 18 months to 5 years) dancers explore their developing movement skills while interacting with caregivers and peers, slowly moving into independent classes at age 3.
In the Primary division (ages 5 to 9) dancers explore the universal elements of dance in more complex ways, using partners, learning dance combinations, and creating their own choreography. Students work together as they choreograph in trios and quartets, gaining a stronger sense of self as they explore who they are as dancers, and prepare their bodies, and minds for technical study. We also offer an Introduction to Ballet class for ages 6-7. In this early technique class, dancers investigate Ballet technique through etiquette, body awareness, and vocabulary in a welcoming environment.
Yes, at the end of our spring session we hold our year-end showcase at Whitney Young High School, for our Primary and Secondary Division Students. For students in our Early-Childhood Division, we hold in-studio observations for friends and family on the last day of class.
The Youth Dance Program offers a variety of week-long dance camps during the summer session. We have summer programs for all ages (18 months – 18 years) and all skill levels.
Contact us for more information at 312-850-9744 ext 139 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes, we offer a monthly payment plan option at registration, if you do not wish to pay in full.
The $50 registration fee is a one-time annual fee. This fee is per family, so if you are registering multiple dancers, you only owe the one payment of $50.
Hubbard Street Dance Center is conveniently located in Chicago's West Loop at 1147 W. Jackson (at the corner of Jackson & Racine). For detailed directions, please visit the Location page.
Contact us for more information at 312-850-9744 ext 139 email@example.com.