Hubbard Street is excited to announce the Hubbard Street Professional Program, launched in Fall 2017. Under the direction of Alexandra Wells, Artistic Director of Springboard Danse Montréal, the program's mission is to address the needs of dancers striving to enter the current job market by providing diverse training alongside one of the prestigious contemporary dance companies in the world.
September 3 - December 15, 2017 (off week of Thanksgiving, November 20 - 24)
January 8 - February 23, 2018
February 26 - May 25, 2018 (limited space available)
September 10- December 14, 2018 (off week of Thanksgiving, November 19-23)
Guest Choreographer: Adam Barruch
January 7- February 22, 2018
February 25- May 24, 2019
Dancers may opt to study during winter break. The Intersession includes daily ballet and modern/contemporary classes with studio space available for dancer creation. Intensive Pilates training, Internships and work study opportunities are in development.
Classes during the two semesters will take place daily Monday - Friday, 9:15am - 5:30/6:00pm
Interaction with the Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
Dancers will have the occasional opportunity to take company ballet class with Hubbard Street Dance Chicago. Additionally, the dancers will have regular opportunities to observe company rehearsals and performances.
Dancers must be 18 years of age by September 1, 2018 in order to be considered for Hubbard Street’s Professional Program.
$9850 per year. Students will be asked to commit a nonrefundable deposit of $1,000 at the time of registration. Remaining balance will be broken into three installments to be paid before December 1. Financial aid is available for those who can demonstrate need
For guidelines and more information email HSPro@hubbardstreetdance.com.
2018 Hubbard Street Professional Program Audition Dates
Pre-registration is required for all HSPro auditions. Click here to pre-register. See below for 2018 audition tour details.
Alonzo King LINES Dance Center
26 Seventh Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Friday, January 19, 2018, 6:30 – 9pm
Alvin Ailey Dance Theater
405 W 55th Street, New York, NY 10019
Friday, February 2, 2018, 6:30 – 9pm
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, Lou Conte Dance Studio
1147 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60607
Saturday, February 24, 2018, 10am – 2:30pm
General Audition Information
- Dancers must be 18 years of age by September 1, 2018 in order to be considered for Hubbard Street’s Professional Program.
- Dancers are accepted into the Hubbard Street’s Professional Program by audition only. Results will be sent via email by March 2, 2018.
- Auditions will consist of a ballet class and based on the discretion of the instructor, dancers will learn repertory or be asked to improvise.
- Registration will begin 30 minutes prior to the audition start time. Dancers will need to bring two copies of their dance resume or CV, and headshot.
- The fee to audition is $25, payable upon pre-registration. Walk-ins will be accepted if space permits; the fee at the door is $30 cash only/exact change.
- Headshots should represent what you look like in the studio. Professional photos are not required. There is no specific size requirement for photos.
- A leotard, tights, and ballet shoes need to be worn for ballet class. Hair should be clean and out of the dancer's face. Pointe shoes are not needed for technique class. Form fitting apparel can be worn for repertory as long as body lines are clearly visible.
- A limited amount of financial aid is available to dancers. Aid will be based solely on financial need. We have no merit scholarship awards.
- If you are unable to attend a live audition, you may request to submit a video. To request a video audition, please email HSPRO. The deadline for video submissions is January 15. We encourage dancers to audition in person.
- In the event of inclement weather, updates or audition cancellations will be posted on the Hubbard Street Dance Chicago’s Facebook page. Should we need to cancel an audition due to weather or another unforeseeable cause, dancers who pre-registered for the audition, would be granted the opportunity to send a video audition.
For guidelines and more information about auditions, please email HSPro@hubbardstreetdance.com.
Curriculum for the two semesters will include: daily ballet class, modern, contemporary, Gaga, Flying Low, contemporary partnering, floorwork and Qi Gong as well as somatics; Pilates, Feldenkrais and Image Tech. There will be weekly mentoring lunches with a variety of guests. Additionally, dancers will learn Hubbard Street Dance Company repertoire and participate in creative processes with guest artists including Hubbard Street Choreographic Fellow Alice Klock.
Full Time faculty will include Jonathan Alsberry, Claire Bataille, Christian Denice, Sarah Cullen Fuller, Anna Long, Ben Wardell, Meredith Dincolo, Ethan Kirschbaum, and HS Pro director Alexandra Wells. Guest faculty will include Peter Chu, Robyn Mineko Williams, Elia Mrak, Lindsey Parker Derry, and Naomi Stikeman.
For Hubbard Street Professional Program faculty bios, click here.
There will be one in-theater presentation per semester, with additional informal presentations and installations throughout the year. In 2017 HS Pro dancers had the unique opportunity to perform with Hubbard Street company members in a mainstage production at the Harris Theater for Hubbard Street’s Fall Series featuring a choreographic installation by Peter Chu.
Click here for the full list of the inaugural class of the Hubbard Street Professional Program.