Youth Dance Studio Policies & Procedures
Print a full copy of the Youth Dance Program's Studio policies here.
- Students must wear clothing that is comfortable, does not restrict movement and does not inhibit the instructor from ensuring proper technique. If students are wearing skirts, students must also wear shorts, leggings or tights.
- No denim
- Bare feet
- Hair pulled back
- Girls must wear the required leotard color, tights, and ballet shoes.
|Intro to Ballet (6–7 years old)||Pale Pink|
|Level A (8–9 years old)||Pale Blue|
|Level B (9–10 years old)||Burgundy|
|Level C (11–13 years old)||Royal Blue|
|Level D (14+)||Black|
|Teen Ballet (14+)||Black|
- Boys must wear a white t-shirt, black tights and black ballet shoes. Level C or higher must wear a dance belt.
Jazz, Modern, Tap, Musical Theater
- Girls must wear a solid color leotard and jazz pants/capris or leggings.
- Boys must wear a t-shirt and jazz pants.
- Jazz shoes for jazz and musical theater, tap shoes for tap, bare feet for modern
- Hair pulled back
- Students must wear clothing that is comfortable and does not restrict movement
- No denim
- Clean sneakers required
Dance Supplies Store lists are available in the Youth Dance office.
Allegro Dance Boutique (www.allegrodanceboutique.com) is the official sponsor of Hubbard Street Youth Dance Program.
- No food or gum in studios. Only water is allowed in Hubbard Street studios.
- No cell phones or electronic devices are allowed in the studios.
- Parents will be notified and consulted regarding any in-class behavioral issues or questions.
- If a child acts out in class in a manner that is harmful to him/herself or others, that child may be removed from class and parents will be notified immediately.
- Children may be dropped from a class if their behavior interferes with safety or is chronically disruptive. We may recommend that your child be moved to a more appropriate class level.
Class Cancellations and Inclement Weather
- The Youth Dance Program reserves the right to cancel individual classes for the session due to low enrollment. Alternative class options or refunds will be offered under such circumstances.
- Instructors are subject to change. No credits or refunds will be issued in this case.
- In case of inclement weather or severe weather advisories, the Youth Dance Program may cancel classes. The Youth Dance Program follows the Chicago Public Schools cancellation procedures.
- In the event that classes are canceled due to inclement weather, students may schedule a make-up class.
Attendance and Punctuality
- Students arriving more than ten minutes late to class will not be permitted to dance. Late students must observe.
- Children ages 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult or parent/guardian when entering or exiting the building.
- If students are early, students should wait in the lobby for their instructor. Students are not permitted in the studio prior to class.
- Please have your students visit the restroom before the beginning of class.
- Students must change in the Youth bathrooms, before class if necessary. Youth Dance Program students should not change in the LCDS dressing rooms.
- Parents may wait in our main lobby or our studio lobby just beyond the Lou Conte Dance Studio front desk or our private Youth Dance Program lobby.
Absences and Make-up Classes
- Students are allowed a maximum of two make-ups per class per session. Make-ups must be scheduled, with the Youth Dance Program staff, prior to the make-up class.
- If your student has a planned absence, and ongoing illness, or injury please notify the Youth Office.
- Students with multiple, unknown absences shall receive a call home from the Youth Office.
- Students with poor class attendance, may not participate in parts or all of the year-end Showcase
Classes and Instruction
- Hubbard Street and its instructors are not liable for any injuries sustained while a student is in class, or on the premises.
- No video, audio, photo or any other recordings are allowed in the studios, with the exception of observation days.
- Parents are not allowed in the studios before, during or after class, with the exception of classes requiring caregiver participation. Parents are welcome to observe classes during observation week each session.
- Students, who are 7 or older, and new to the Hubbard Street Youth Dance Program, must take a placement class before registering for classes.
- All initial registration fees and tuition are due by the first day of each class, per session.
- A non-refundable registration fee of $35 is due with the initial payment for the year/session. This fee is added to the total due.
- Families with students in the Primary and Secondary Division will pay an additional $50 showcase fee at registration.
- Hubbard Street accepts checks, Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
- All checks should be made payable to “Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.”
- $25 fee will be charged for returned checks.
- In order to receive a refund, students must withdraw before the third class. The amount refunded will be less the cost of two classes, and will not include the non-refundable $35 registration fee.
- Tuition fees paid are forfeited and no refunds will be offered following the second class of each session.
- There is NO fee credit for missed classes during the school year.
- Two make-ups per student, per class may be scheduled only during the current session, if an appropriate class level is available, and if approved by the Youth Program Manager. Please contact the Youth Dance Program in advance to schedule a make-up class.